3.03.2012

Never a dull moment

We've certainly been on a roller coaster of emotions for the past two weeks. Two weeks ago at 21 weeks pregnant I had my routine fetal anatomy ultrasound. Without a worry on my mind and everything with this pregnancy seemingly normal so far, you can imagine my surprise when the doctor told us that Amelia has a major heart defect and likely has Down Syndrome. It's still almost painful to revisit that day, but I documented every emotion that I felt so I will never forget the growth that I went through in just a few short days. I share some of those thoughts here as a testimony that no matter how desperate a situation may seem or how heart-broken one might feel, there is infinite healing, comfort, peace and joy to be found through the atonement of Jesus Christ. There were times in the past two weeks when I couldn't understand how I was still standing, but somehow I felt strong and at peace. I told a friend last week that with all the turbulence that I'm experiencing, one would think that I would feel fearful, sad and weak; but I felt the opposite - I felt strong and happy and hopeful. That was strength I knew could only come from the Lord. What an incredible miracle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
February 17, 2012
Amelia’s Ultrasound Diagnosis
It feels like days, but it hasn't yet been 24 hours since we got the news. Down Syndrome. Heart defect. I sat silently in the chair at the doctor's office as those words rang through my head. I didn't shed a tear. I suppose out of shock or fear, I just couldn't cry. It wasn't until Jeremy held me in the hallway that I wet his shoulder with tears. I felt such a wave of emotions hit me in that moment - shock, fear, sadness, anger. Grief at the loss of the little girl that I thought I was going to have. It was as if I had been dumped in some surreal, nightmarish world from which I couldn't escape. Special needs and birth defects were so far from my mind as I had pictured my perfectly healthy baby girl countless times in the months prior. I didn't ask for this. I didn't want her. I felt robbed of the fantasies of raising a beautiful daughter - a sweet, perfect girl who would look up to me, confide in me, be my best friend. I wanted to turn back. I wanted to go back to my perfectly flawless existence of me and my boys and the joy of anticipating our new arrival.
Jeremy and I came home and we held each other tightly, not saying much of a word. I retreated to my bedroom and turned to the only place that I felt I could go - my knees. I grabbed my scriptures, praying that I might find answers. They fell open to the Book of Mormon in Mosiah chapter 24. In this chapter, the people were being heavily persecuted and were even threatened with execution should they pray. The persecuted poured out their hearts to God, and "the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage. And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions. And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord."

I then questioned my Heavenly Father, "How? How is it possible that this burden can be eased? How can I be made strong enough to bear this? It's just too big and I am weak."I told God that all I had wanted was a normal baby. To my heart He replied, "But I gave you an extraordinary baby." I continued to pray that I could receive the strength that the atonement promises. I pleaded with Him to make everything okay.

I think I cried for eight hours straight that day. Later in the evening I took a steaming hot shower, hoping to wash all the heavy emotion away. I sat in the tub with the water raining down on me, and once again racked my body with sobs. It still hurt. I still didn't know how I could be strong enough to do this. I begged Heavenly Father to visit me with His spirit. To comfort and strengthen me. I promised God that I would submit all of my will to His. I would do my best to bear this challenge with patience. I would do anything He asked of me.

As I lay silently in my bed that night, the pain was still present. I grieved for my little girl. I doubted my own strength. I closed my eyes and turned to God again. A miracle occurred. From my head to my toes, a blanket of peace, hope and comfort engulfed me. I knew with every fiber of my being that my Heavenly Father was aware of me. He felt my sorrow and He knew my need. He didn't take my pain and fear away. He didn't make my baby whole. But, as promised, he eased the burden by making me stronger. In that moment I felt an indescribable peace and strength that I knew could only come from God. I allowed the tears to flow freely and water my pillow. This time they were not only tears of sorrow, but they were also tears of gratitude. I felt thankful that my Heavenly Father had lifted me. I felt peace in the knowledge that He knows me and wants me to be happy. I felt eternally grateful for the little girl with the broken heart growing inside of me.

I cried myself to sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Though thoughts of Amelia continue to constantly loom in the back of my mind, from that day I have felt so happy and content. I've been given such strength and comfort that I didn't think was possible. Day by day I've also grown more in love with this baby girl. I'm so grateful that I get to be her mommy.

We've made some progress since February 16. There is a new test available in which fetal DNA can be extracted from the mother's blood and tested for Down Syndrome with 99% accuracy. I had my blood drawn last week and we received the results yesterday. Amelia does not have Down Syndrome. It's a relief in many ways as there are no longer certain challenges that we will have to face with her, but the news feels somewhat neutral to us as, at this point, we are happy and excited to welcome little Amelia whether she has Down Syndrome or not. The scariest thing is still ever present - her heart defect.

I had a fetal echo done last Tuesday (1.5 hours laying in the ultrasound chair!). The cardiologist has diagnosed her with Truncus Arteriosus, although it's very difficult to determine for sure by fetal ultrasound. There are a couple other conditions that it could be, but all are equally serious. Amelia will undergo major open heart surgery after she is born. The cardiologist is optimistic about the surgery and we know that her size will greatly affect the outcome. We are praying hard that I will be able to carry her through to term. We know that Amelia has a mighty spirit, and we pray that her tiny body can be just as strong. We have bright hope for our baby girl and have faith that everything will be okay. Keep praying for us! :-)

7 comments:

emily barlocker scott said...

AMELIA!?!?!?!
Thats my baby girl name! It's ok, we can share. :)
Congrats! You look beautiful. You don't really look pregnant though. You look like you ate a Chipotle burrito.

emily barlocker scott said...

P.S. I'll say some prayers for you.

Charity Brown said...

Hey Adrienne,
First of all : Congratulations!!! That is so exciting! Baby girls are AMAZING!
I wanted to pass along a blog to you that might give you a little comfort regarding downs syndrome (if she does, by the 1% chance, have downs):
http://www.kellehampton.com/
You can read all the way back to the birth of their little girl (they had no idea she might have downs). It's an AMAZING and inspiring blog for 500 reasons. I highly recommend it. I have to say though, that I LOVE LOVE LOVE downs kids. They have such amazing spirts and bring so much love to everyone. We have friends with a son who is now 20 who has downs and his parents always say that he has been the biggest blessing. He keeps them young and has kept them totally down to earth and humbled. I adore that kid!
I hope that all will continue to be well with your pregnancy and I'll be praying for her little heart!

Erin said...

Such a well written, straight from the heart post. Thanks for letting us read your thoughts, desires, and emotions. We will pray for you and hope all is well with the heart defect.

Kirstin said...

Wow, Adrienne, you are amazing. Thanks so much for sharing this experience! We will be praying for you guys and perfect little Amelia.

Sarah C said...

I was in tears the whole time I was reading your post. I am touched by your faith in Heavenly Father. I am sorry for the heartache you have felt over the past few weeks. I am so thankful you felt the peace, comfort, and love of the Lord when you turned to him in your trial. You are right. He loves you. He loves Amelia. She is very blessed to be your daughter and you are blessed to be her mom. I am inspired by your love and devotion to Heavenly Father. I have been sad for the heartache you were feeling. I wished I could take your pain away. I am thankful that you felt the healing power of the atonement and you feel at peace. Your faith has given me a sense of peace and hope too. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Heavenly Father has blessed your family. Sometimes it is hard to see the blessings when we feel discouraged. I admire you for turning to Heavenly Father and asking him to help you in your time of need. I will continue to pray for you and Amelia. I pray that you will continue to feel peace and comfort. I pray she will grow strong and healthy. I pray the surgery will go well. If there is ever anything I can do to help, please let me know. For right now, I will just keeping praying. I love you!

Brent and Rachel Izu said...

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful experience. It is always amazing to me how much greatness and beauty the Lord can show us through difficult experiences. Our prayers will be with your little Amelia, the pediatric surgeons performing the surgery and your family. I know the Lord can strengthen you and buoy you up.