1.13.2010

Happy Birthday, Matt-matt and Jordi

12/13/09

My Dearest Matthew and Jordan,

Where has the time gone? I'll admit that the first 18 months seemed to creep by so slowly, but then one day, I woke up and my babies were 3 years old. I try to savor every moment, though. Every time you ask me to play airplanes or dragons, but then I think I have something more important to do - like laundry or emails or dishes - I stop and tell myself that you're only going to think that your arms are wings and that boxes are boats for so long. So, I'll drop the laundry and save the dishes for later so I can take an imaginary journey to your innocent little world - the happiest place on Earth.

I love that you two came to Earth together but that you are both so different. Matthew, when you were 1 week old, the doctors told us we could take you home (and just in time for Christmas), but you wouldn't have it - not without your little brother. Your dad and I had the strongest feeling that you needed to stay. And stay you did in a tiny bassinet next to Jordan. Over the course of the next week, Jordan made quite an impressive jump in weight and was allowed to go home earlier than expected. I just know that he needed you there with him through that week to support him and be there for him. Matthew, you still have that same balance of tenderness and strong-headed determination that you did at 1 week old. I love that you are so sweet and I love to give you snuggles. You warm my heart straight through to the center. I love that you never give up at anything you try and you're not afraid to try anything (my little daredevil). I love your energy and your mischievousness. Just when I think you're feeling a little mellow one day, the goofball inside of you comes out. You make everything you do full of joy. If you're running, your arms are suspended like airplane wings. If you're taking a bath, you're not just bathing, you're being a shark. I pray that, throughout your life, you continue to find joy in even the simplest of ways. You're truly a special boy, Matt-matt. I feel so blessed to be your mommy.

Jordan, you are my sunshine. To you, life is full of excitement and cheerfulness. Every moment of your day is filled with activity, imagination and wonder. When there is a party, you're not going to bed until it's over - after all, what's a party without you? To you, the world revolves around you and your life revolves around fun. I love this about you. I love your bubbly personality. I love your giggle and your silliness. I love to escape with you into imaginary lands. I love your light-heartedness. And, let's not forgot about the talking. You have certainly been blessed with the gift of gab. You were talking in full sentences by 18 months! We have a really hard time shutting you up, but then, I couldn't imagine a world that wasn't filled with your chatter. I'm not sure how you find so much to say, but you certainly make it look easy. Finally, Jordi, I love how much you adore Matthew. Even though you're the younger brother (by 11 minutes), you've taken upon yourself the responsibility of watching over your older brother (some people would call it bossiness). :-) By the time you were first learning to talk, if you were given a cracker, you just had to make sure that Matthew got one too. If you got a blue car, you searched the house until you found the red one for Matt. And nowadays, there's hardly a night that I go into your room to tuck you in and that I don't find you in your big brother's bed. You just can't tear yourself away from him - even just to sleep. I love you so much, Jordan. You are such an amazing little boy. I'm so thankful to be your mommy.

Boys, you are my little miracles. You make the grayest of skies seem blue. You fill my heart with so much love and joy to the point that I think it might just burst out of my chest. I love you with the deepest of loves that only a mother could have for her children. I thank Heavenly Father every day that he blessed me with you. Happy Birthday, Little Sweeties.

Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

Charity Brown said...

Such a sweet letter and post!

Sarah C said...

That was so thoughtful and sweet. It brought tears to my eyes. I could feel your love for the boys as I read your letter to them.