4.17.2011

Thirty, Flirty and Thriving

Thirty? It's true. Flirty? Well, some things never change. Thriving? Uh, I suppose it depends on who's judging.

I love the movie 13 Going On 30. Although 30 may not be as glamorous as depicted in the movie (somehow I didn't quite feel glamorous last week while I was scrubbing puke off the boys' mattress and bedroom floor), I must say I've enjoyed the small boost of confidence turning thirty has given me. I'm still young, yet I have 30 years of incredibly fulfilling experiences under my belt. I'm better looking (so says Jeremy), definitely more stylish, smarter and more spiritual than I was in my young twenty-somethings. While I still sometimes long for the care-free days of my 21-year-old self, in many ways 30 is better.

I also love the opening scenes of the 13 Going On 30 movie which are set in the 80s (because, let's face it, the 80s were the awesomest) - which brings me to my next point: the party. I threw myself an 80s-themed birthday party and it was awesome. Yes, I threw myself my own party - not because I'm pathetic and don't have any friends to throw me a party, but because I LOVE throwing parties (and no one throws a party better than yours truly). ;-) I had a Best Dressed contest, 80s Trivia and a Wall of Shame (adorned with the most shameful pictures of my guests from the 1980s). Plus, one of my good friends was kind enough to burn me 5 CDs FULL of the best 1980s hits. Here are a few pictures of the blessed event:

Jeremy made his signature 4-layer German Chocolate Cake with Coconut whipped cream. To. Die. For.

One of the highlights was the candy. I found all kinds of 80s retro candy for the party, including Zots, Rock Candy, Razzles, Orange Heads and Fruit Stripe Gum. So fun!





I had good intentions of dressing up my boys, but it didn't happen (Jordan decided on his own to be a sword-wielding cowboy). However, our friends did manage to dress up their little baby. He came as Richard Simmons (see baby below in headband and wristbands). Haha, it was the most adorable thing.

Notice my 80s make-over. It was totally unintentional that I ended up looking slightly like a 1980s hooker; and this made Jordan's comment even funnier... I was in the bathroom putting on the final touches of my look when Jordan walked in. He gasped and said, "Oh Mommy! You look like a real lady!" Ha! I have no idea what ladies he is referring to.




The party was a blast and I was so happy to spend the time with friends. My parents were able to stay over the Friday night before. We took the boys to the aquarium early in the day and went out to lunch. My mom and I did a little shopping. Then we all ordered in pizza and hung out at home together in the evening. All in all, it was a great 30th birthday.

3 comments:

Kacey said...

Fun party!! I'm glad you had such a great time ringing in your 30th birthday :) I love the 80's idea- I'm still trying to figure out what to do for mine. I also love 13 going on 30 and I find it hard to believe that we are there!

Charity Brown said...

hahaha! i love jordan's comment to you. literally laughed outloud! :) happy birthday!!!

Erin said...

What an awesome party! I hope one day we can live in the same town so I can come to one of your parties!! Happy Belated Birthday!