9.05.2010

DIY: Mason Jar Penny Banks



Aren't they cute? A few weeks ago I decided that my boys had a bad case of the greedy gimmees, so I decided to teach them a little bit about responsibility. Now they get an allowance and have a totally cute penny bank to keep it in. They keep talking about saving up for their "very own fast jet!" Keep saving, boys, keep saving.

What you need:
a Mason jar
scrapbook paper
cardboard
ribbon
hot glue

  1. Remove center of Mason jar lid and use as a template to cut a circle out of scrapbook paper.
  2. Cut a sliver big enough to stick a quarter through in the center of scrapbook paper center.
  3. Replace Mason jar lid center with the paper circle.
  4. Tie ribbon around lid and secure onto lid with hot glue.
  5. Cut out an image from the patterned scrapbook paper and glue it to a piece of cardboard (I used a piece of cereal box). Cut cardboard around image.
  6. Make a tag w/child's name out of scrapbook paper and punch a hole in the top. Secure tag to back of scrapbook cut-out with glue (or you could string the ribbon through it).
  7. Hot glue scrapbook paper image to center of ribbon bow (like my airplane above).
If I had little girls I'd embellish these with some cute flowers or something. :-) Have fun!

2 comments:

Cam and Aliy said...

I'm in charge of crafts at my MOPS group - we are so doing this!!! Love it!! thx for sharing AD

Sarah C said...

That is a great idea!